What is ICSI?
“ICSI stands for Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection. All the steps are same as IVF but differs from IVF in that in ICSI, the sperm is injected directly into the egg using a very fine needle. This is done under the guidance of micromanipulator which aids in ultra fine manoeuvre to inject the sperm inside the egg cytoplasm.
Once the embryo grows to a certain stage, it is put back into the women’s uterus.
Therefore, ICSI has effective success outcome.”
Who requires ICSI?
All patients who need IVF benefit even further from ICSI.
Apart from them, even couples having problems in sperm not able to penetrate into the egg. For example, very poor quality sperms which are not capable to fertilize the eggs etc.
How is it performed?
1) Ovarian stimulation:- The ovaries are stimulated so that more eggs would mature and can be used for the process. During this phase, hormones are given to the women over a period of time. This phase also requires monitoring through frequent ultrasound and blood tests are done.
2) Follicular puncture:- When the follicle is mature enough, a trigger shot of beta human Chorionic Gonadotrophin (hCG) is given. After around, 30 to 36 hours, follicular puncture is normally scheduled to retrieve the eggs mostly under local anaesthesia and sometimes may even require general anaesthesia.
3) Semen Collection:- Along with the egg retrieval, the husband would provide his semen which would be processed.
4) Oocyte Fertilization:- The sperm is directly injected into the egg by a very fine needle under a microscope (ICSI). This step is a highly sophisticated step needing a lot of skills by the embryologist.
5) Embryoculture and monitoring:- The fertilized egg is nurished in culture media which is regulated with parameters found similar to that present in a normal pregnant uterus of the women.
6) Embryo Transfer:- During the growth of the embryo in the culture media, the doctor and the embryologist would determine an healthy embryo and the right time for them to be put back inside the uterus of the women. This can normally be done under simple sedation.
7) Implantation:- The embryo which is put back inside the uterus starts to attach itself along the wall of the uterus leading to the pregnancy. Normally, after 14 days, blood pregnancy test can be done to determine the outcome.